Written by Alexandra Gutierrez
Day of the Dead, or Dia de Los Muertos is a lively and colorful holiday that is celebrated to remember and honor those who have passed away by creating spectacular altars (ofrendas in Spanish) with lots of yummy food, flowers, and memories! This two day celebration is mostly celebrated in Mexico, parts of Latin America and the U.S., on November first and second and is said to be the time late loved ones return to visit their families and friends. Here are the following common items used for Day of the Dead altars that will help you make your own and celebrate your late loved ones including pets!
1) Marigold flowers-Marigold flowers are the most iconic flowers for this holiday! The bright and unique smell is said to attract those who have passed.
2) Sugar skulls– There is nothing scary about these skulls! Sugar skulls are indeed made of all sugar which are also very bright and colorful and made to represent those who have passed away.
3) Pictures- Pictures are one of the most important aspects of the altar! Add any pictures you can find of your dearest loved ones. These memories will last forever!
4) Favorite Foods– Favorite foods like tamales, fruits, and sweet bread are always a must. Just make sure you resist the temptation to eat them yourself!
5) Favorite Beverages– Favorite beverages like hot chocolate, sodas, and even water can also be added to your altar.
6) Candles– Candles guide your loved ones’ spirits and ensure they find your amazing ofrendas!
Tagged:- dia de los muertos, holidays
Arts and crafts
Kids and their endless imagination often find a canvas in the form of paper, brushes, and vibrant colors. Painting is not just a hobby; it’s a world where children can express themselves freely, exploring their creativity and emotions. Let’s get inspired with painting! Art Outdoors: Nature-Inspired Painting Activities Encouraging kids to connect with nature […]
The winter season often brings a chill in the air, making outdoor activities a bit more challenging, especially for tennis enthusiasts. For kids passionate about perfecting their tennis skills, the colder months might seem like a barrier. However, with a little creativity and the right approach, winter can be an excellent time to refine those […]
The Happy Camper Live Holiday Gift Guide is back! We had so much fun this year testing out new activities and working with some new great partners. We continue to strive to Play, Create, Discover, Wonder and Inspire our kiddos to make impactful choices and give back to others. See below for our 2023 picks! […]
Children today have so many ways to express their creativity. One avenue that’s both fun and educational is filmmaking. Encouraging kids to delve into the world of filmmaking not only nurtures their artistic abilities but also develops critical thinking, storytelling, and technical skills. Let’s explore some exciting and accessible ways for kids to dive into […]
As the winter season blankets the outdoors with snow and chilly weather, many young soccer enthusiasts might find it challenging to practice their beloved sport. However, the winter months can be an excellent time to refine soccer skills, even in colder conditions. Learn creative and enjoyable ways for kids to practice their soccer skills despite […]
Arts and crafts (52)
Camp stories (11)
Camp traditions (20)
Family activities (73)
Featured camps (12)
Gift Guides (11)
Outdoor adventure (28)
Water sports (1)